Saturday, 7 March 2015

The Steps Tread

Hello, I'm Dorian in SL. I attended the book club reading on Thursday night at the Lyrical Cafe Poetry Club. We read part of "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. I was invited to share my thoughts about the section we read so far, so here I am! The book talks about the experience of a seven year old girl in the nineteenth century China. The part that really stood out for me was about footbinding.

Though I have not had my feet bound I did have reconstructive surgery on my feet at the age of ten. After doing the surgery the doctors set pins in my feet and the only time I saw them is the time they were cast. They were black and shriveled looking. It terrified me and to walk on them after some time was agony. Due to this hearing the reading by Chraeloos was almost too hard as it hit somewhat close to me. However what kept me there was the power and will of the beliefs that rested with those girls. I was riveted by the growing sense of acceptance and contrast of emotion between the two sisters and the third sister. It was a profound and stark contrast of what honor meant to them as a people and what pushes us to strive and remain courageous to fight against that which we face.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Dorian. I can see how this book is very relatable for you considering you have had surgery on your foot.

    This book is relatable to me because of this one line, "I was a so-so girl who lived with a so-so family in a so-so village." I think this line is relatable for a lot of us in the world, but especially for me being that the town I grew up in was so small it had only one stop light.

    Welcome to the blog and to the book club! Kamille

    ReplyDelete